Uniting this wiki with Fandom's Brawlhalla community
For those who have not yet heard: Last year, Gamepedia and Fandom joined forces and are now two platforms on the same network. Later this year, we'll even become one unified platform. The teams at both Gamepedia and Fandom want to encourage our communities to work together now instead of splitting their efforts and competing with each other for readers and new editors.
I'd like to know how all of you here feel about uniting with Fandom's Brawlhalla community. That would mean we archive one wiki - lock it from editing but keep the pages accessible to readers - and put a banner up that directs visitors towards the other, active wiki. Anyone who used to edit the now-archived wiki would be able to contribute to the active wiki, and any content on one side that's missing on the other can be moved over with edit histories intact. Note: No merger will take place if both communities don't agree to it.
The advantages of uniting on one site are clear: By working together, all fans of Brawlhalla could build a resource on the game more effectively, keep it up-to-date more easily, and players would no longer be confused as to which site they should turn to for information. Both wikis have very significant amounts of content. Both wikis get about the same amount of traffic. The Fandom wiki seems to be the most up to date, but what really matters is where editors want to edit. Keep in mind that later this year, both the Gamepedia and the Fandom wiki will move onto the same platform and then have a very similar if not the same layout, tool set and staff support.
So: Are you interested in merging with your partner community on Fandom? Would you be willing to edit on Fandom going forward, or would you rather keep things as they are? Please speak up! Heytots (talk) 17:11, 15 July 2020 (UTC)
- If I'm being completely honest, I would prefer, if anything, that the Fandom users come here instead of vice versa. Comparing both wikis, Fandom has 129 articles and this wiki has 648. Also looking at the number of edits, Gamepedia has twice as many has Fandom. Of course, the content is a bit different; Fandom has lots of raw info whereas this wiki has more neatly formatted information. I also believe that if Fandom editors are willing to edit this wiki, they would find that Gamepedia Pro accounts make the UI significantly more spacious than that of Fandom wikis.
- I don't want to sound biased or anything, but I cannot see myself editing another wiki that, for so long, has been a rival. I get it though, the rivalry is over and the wikis will become one. The entire purpose of the merge is to end the rivalry; I understand that completely. Sill, I cannot bring myself to give up my position as Wiki Guardian after years of work. But again, this much in my personal opinion.
- I understand that both parties need to come to a consensus before anything takes place, but I urge Fandom users to consider moving their focus to Gamepedia instead of the other way around. Though I cannot force anything upon anyone, I really hope that Gamepedia will be the wiki to thrive for years to come. -- Diriector Doc 1 20:17, 15 July 2020 (UTC)
- Can we get an update to this? No contact has been made and after discovering the Fandom page on this topic only today, I can see there is no consensus between the two wikis right now. Biggestmanever (talk) 05:44, 6 August 2020 (UTC)
- It seems both communities would prefer to stay apart so this merge isn't going to go through HeyTots (talk) 19:54, 13 August 2020 (UTC)